Well done. Pretty basic but with good potential for expanding gameplay, and catchy to the eye.
You and your party of card squires have found yourselves on a dangerous quest to slay monsters, however there's a problem: your deck of magic has been cursed! Now instead of powerful wizardry spells, you have hexed cards that work against you. Skillfully use them to get through to the unaffected cards and survive the dungeon. Can you reach the boss?
Since the original LD40 submission, Deckest Dungeon was featured by Itch.io on Twitter and therefore a “closer to the original version” was in order.
Version 4 Updates 12/14:
- Split the Tutorial into three parts to see if it lowers the dropoff rate at the tutorial and early levels.
- Updated the interface to not require the spacebar to navigate, which means you can now do everything from the mouse.
Version 3 Updates 12/13:
- The shuffle hands into deck card now has the right art and always gives you a full hand
- Made the more interesting cards drop more often.
- "Get cards but take damage" cards now pull 3 cards from the deck instead of 2. Also, you take less damage from them.
- Affinity themed particle effect now appears over characters when hit.
Version 2 Updates 12/09:
- Vastly improved the UX for the cards
- Implemented an affinities system much closer to the original vision - AKA: The class system: Fighter takes less damage. Druid has a heal bonus with all affinities and a slight damage bonus with spiritual (green). Mage has a large damage bonus with arcane (blue). Druid and Mage do less damage with physical (red).
- Increased the hp of enemies and players to account for the class system but not as much for players
- Added damage jitter to the cards so they don’t always do the exact same damage
- Reduced the amount of healing enemies are able to do
- Made healing much more important for players
- Added “Next Turn” to the UI
- The card deck now starts with an even number of affinities for attack and a few heals
- Fixed any cards where the affinity (color) didn’t match up with the description
- Implemented new high damage tradeoff cards to add depth to the gameplay
- Removed cards that had negative effects but nothing else
- Made card slot background less transparent to show up better
- Balanced gameplay around new cards/gameplay
Animation: Connor Wilson - twitter.com/tungstengroove
Sound: Carmine Dominicus - https://cad-blu.bandcamp.com/
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.